© National Portrait Gallery, London
Sir William Chambers
by Jeremiah Meyer Click on the links below to find out more
watercolour and bodycolour on ivory, after 1770
1 5/8 in. x 1 1/4 in. (41 mm x 32 mm) oval
Bequeathed by Eugenie F.E. Pebardy, 1958
- Jeremiah Meyer (1735-1789), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 7 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 98
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 51
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 113
- Walker, Richard, Miniatures: 300 Years of the English Miniature, 1998, p. 69
Augustus FitzRoy, 3rd Duke of Grafton resigns as Prime Minister and is succeeded by Frederick North, 2nd Earl of Guilford.
Art and science
Oliver Goldsmith publishes his poem The Deserted Village
. Philosopher and politician Edmund Burke publishes Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents
discussing the limits of the King's authority. 17-year-old Thomas Chatterton, later hailed as a significant poet, commits suicide in a London garret.Thomas Gainsborough paints his portrait of Jonathan Buttall, which later becomes known as The Blue Boy
'Townshend duties' on imports into the colonies are repealed, except for the duty on tea. However, this concession is soon followed by the Boston Massacre, in which British troops fire into an unruly crowd in Boston, killing five. Captain Cook reaches the eastern coast of Australia, at a place which he names Botany Bay. He discovers the Great Barrier Reef when HMS Endeavour runs onto it. Cook claims New South Wales for the British.