King Charles I
King Charles I
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, circa 1616
79 in. x 45 1/2 in. (2007 mm x 1156 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
This portraitback to top
This portrait was once thought to be by the Flemish artist Abraham van Blyenberch but this attribution has been rejected following analysis by the Gallery's Making Art in Tudor Britain research project.
Linked publicationsback to top
- MacLeod, Catherine, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection at Montacute House, 1999, p. 31
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 78
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 60
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 115
Events of 1616back to top
Current affairsPlaywright, William Shakespeare, dies in Stratford-Upon-Avon on 23rd April, after he contracted a fever. He is buried days later inside Holy Trinity Church in Stratford. James I's second son, Charles, is invested as Prince of Wales at a lavish ceremony at Whitehall.
Art and sciencePoet and playwright Benjamin Jonson, is granted a royal pension effectively establishing him as the first poet laureate in all but name.Queen Anne commissions Inigo Jones to design a pavilion at Greenwich, the Queen's House.
InternationalSir Walter Ralegh, released from prison, begins planning an expedition to Guiana in search of El Dorado. With established Spanish settlements in the area, Ralegh's expedition unsettled the court which sought lasting peace with Spain. The Catholic Church places Nicolaus Copernicus's De revolutionibus, 1543, on its list of prohibited books.
See this portrait
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Face of Britain: The Nation Through Its Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster