King Charles II
5 of 293 portraits of King Charles II
King Charles II
by David Des Granges, after Adriaen Hanneman
watercolour on vellum, (circa 1648)
1 3/4 in. x 1 1/2 in. (45 mm x 38 mm) oval
Transferred from National Gallery, 1994
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 293 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1648back to top
Current affairsResurgence of civil war largely ends at the battle of Preston, won by Parliamentarians under Oliver Cromwell's command.Parliamentary General Henry Ireton's Army Remonstrance demands the king is tried an enemy of the state. Ireton also instigates a coups d'état, Pride's Purge, ridding Parliament of MPs supporting negotiations with Charles.
Art and scienceJohn Wilkins, Bishop of Chester, publishes Mathematical Magick, the first work in English on the fundamental principles of mechanics, conceived in the form of a practical manual.
InternationalA series of European treaties, negotiated since 1644, results in the Peace of Westphalia and ends the German phase of the Thirty Years' War, and war between the Dutch and Spain in the Eighty Years' War. Delegations are sent from around Europe, Henri II d'Orleans leads the French delegation.
See this portrait
On display in Room 5 at the National Portrait Gallery
Related shop items
- Companion Series: Pepys and his Contemporaries
- King Charles II Magnetic Frame
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- Pets in Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Kings and Queens of England Mug