King Charles II
14 of 294 portraits of King Charles II
King Charles II
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, circa 1665
27 1/2 in. x 22 1/4 in. (699 mm x 565 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 294 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 66
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 117
Events of 1665back to top
Current affairsGreat Plague initially breaks out in the deprived parish of St. Giles-in-the-Fields killing thousands. Humphrey Henchman, Bishop of London, takes a leading role in organising collections of money for the poor. Five Mile Act forbids ejected clergymen from living within five miles of a parish they formerly served.
Art and scienceA New Discourse of Trade, written by Sir Josiah Child, outspokenly advocates for the advantages of free trade. The first issue of the Royal Society's scientific journal, Philosophical Transactions, is edited by Henry Oldenburg, the Society's Secretary.
InternationalSecond Anglo-Dutch War. Despite England's resounding victory at the first naval encounter, the Battle of Lowestoft, failure to seize the valuable Dutch East Indies fleet by Admiral Edward Montagu, Earl of Sandwich, and subsequent Dutch victory at the battle at Vågen, were considerable setbacks for the English.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- Companion Series: Pepys and his Contemporaries
- King Charles II Magnetic Frame
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- Pets in Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster