King Charles II
15 of 294 portraits of King Charles II
King Charles II
after Sir Peter Lely
oil on canvas, feigned oval, (circa 1675)
29 1/2 in. x 24 3/4 in. (749 mm x 629 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 294 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 841 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Charles spent his youth in exile on the continent, but remained resourceful and optimistic. He was restored to the throne in 1660, amid great rejoicing, but with limitations on his powers. He became adept at out-manoeuvring the opposition to his policies, particularly in matters of religion and foreign affairs. His brilliant court was notorious for its easy-going morality; the King had fourteen children by various mistresses, but no legitimate heir. He was succeeded on the throne by his brother James.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 117
Events of 1675back to top
Current affairsJames Scott, Duke of Monmouth oversees the suppression of the London weavers' riots which break out in the East End against the introduction of mechanised silk looms. The great fire of Northampton quickly destroys the city. Charles II donates timber for its reconstruction.
Art and scienceCharles II founds the Royal Observatory in Greenwich and appoints John Flamsteed the first Astronomer Royal. Royal approval is given to the 'Warrant' design, Sir Christopher Wren's design for the rebuilding of St. Paul's Cathedral devastated by the Great Fire (1666).
InternationalA naval campaign into the Mediterranean under the command of Sir John Narbrough, with protégé, Cloudesley Shovell as lieutenant, blockades the port of Tripoli and successfully halts persistent attacks on English merchant ships by North African pirates. A peace treaty is signed with Tripoli in 1676.
See this portrait
On display at Lyme Park, Stockport
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- Companion Series: Pepys and his Contemporaries
- King Charles II Magnetic Frame
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- Pets in Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster