King Charles II
17 of 294 portraits of King Charles II
King Charles II
studio of John Riley
oil on canvas, circa 1680-1685
28 1/2 in. x 22 3/4 in. (724 mm x 578 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 294 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Riley (1646-1691), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 100 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ollard, Richard, Character Sketches: Samuel Pepys and His Circle, 2000, p. 28
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 68
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 117
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle (31 March 2003 - 26 October 2003)
Events of 1680back to top
Current affairsWilliam Howard, Viscount Stafford, is convicted of impeachment and beheaded on account of his alleged involvement in the Popish Plot. Whigs' sponsorship of a pope-burning procession, for the second consecutive year, supports their campaign to exclude James, Duke of York from the throne.
Art and scienceWriter, John Bunyan, publishes, The Life and Death of Mr. Badman. Novelistic in form and conceived as a dialogue between two gentlemen, the book was intended as a sequel to the first part of The Pilgrim's Progress.
InternationalRevelations surface of a Catholic uprising in Ireland with French support. The government launches an inquiry, ultimately leading to the execution of Oliver Plunket, Archbishop of Armagh. Secretary of State, Robert Spencer, in adopting an anti-French foreign policy, forges a defensive Anglo-Spanish treaty while seeking an alliance with the Dutch.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- Companion Series: Pepys and his Contemporaries
- King Charles II Magnetic Frame
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- Pets in Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster