by William Hilton
oil on canvas, 1820
30 in. x 25 in. (762 mm x 635 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- William Hilton (1786-1839), History painter. Artist associated with 60 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
Commissioned by his publisher John Taylor in 1820, this painting prompted one art critic to observe: 'What life in the eyes! What ardent thirst for excellence, and what flexibility and susceptibility to the outward impression in the quivering lips !'
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 97
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 61
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 163
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 125
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 110
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 89