© National Portrait Gallery, London
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
by Washington Allston Click on the links below to find out more
oil on canvas, 1814
45 in. x 34 1/2 in. (1143 mm x 876 mm)
- NPG D34029: Samuel Taylor Coleridge (source portrait)
- NPG D34030: Samuel Taylor Coleridge (source portrait)
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 61
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 46
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 33
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 252
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 135
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 119
Princess Caroline leaves England for a lengthy series of travels in Europe and the Middle East. Scandalous gossip promptly surrounds her relationship with her Italian valet, Count Bartholomew Bergami.George, Prince Regent, hosts a visit of the victorious allies to England with spectacular celebrations and fireworks at Carlton House.
Art and science
John Soane completes the construction of Dulwich Picture Gallery.First steam printing machine in the world is used to publish The Times
.New Royal Mint opens at Tower Hill with improved precision machinery.Grand Western Canal completed from Loudwell to Tiverton.
Paris falls under allied attack; Napoleon sent into exile on Elba.Force of British veterans lands at Chesapeake Bay, defeats Americans at Bladensburg and burns parts of Washington DC.Peace treaty signed with Americans in Ghent. General Pakenham is killed leading attack on New Orleans before news of the peace reaches America.