1 of 6 portraits of John Constable
by Ramsay Richard Reinagle
oil on canvas, circa 1799
30 in. x 25 1/8 in. (762 mm x 638 mm)
Given by the Art Fund, 1917
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- John Constable (1776-1837), Landscape painter. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist associated with 6 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Ramsay Richard Reinagle (1775-1862), Painter. Artist associated with 21 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
Reinagle and Constable were students together at the Royal Academy. This portrait was probably painted when he stayed with Constable in East Bergholt during the summer of 1799.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Gayford, Martin; Lyles, Anne, Constable Portraits: The Painter and his Circle, 2009 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 March to 14 June 2009), p. 60
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 71
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 80
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 141
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 127
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 73