10 of 26 portraits on display in Room 18 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Ramsay Richard Reinagle
oil on canvas, circa 1799
30 in. x 25 1/8 in. (762 mm x 638 mm)
Given by the Art Fund, 1917
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- John Constable (1776-1837), Landscape painter. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist associated with 6 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Ramsay Richard Reinagle (1775-1862), Painter. Artist associated with 21 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
Reinagle and Constable were students together at the Royal Academy. This portrait was probably painted when he stayed with Constable in East Bergholt during the summer of 1799.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Gayford, Martin; Lyles, Anne, Constable Portraits: The Painter and his Circle, 2009 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 March to 14 June 2009), p. 60
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 71
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 80
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 141
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 127
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 73
Events of 1799back to top
Current affairsThe Prince of Wales is reconciled with his secret wife Maria Fitzherbert.Corresponding Societies Act is passed prohibiting certain named political groups including the radical London Corresponding Society and the United Irishmen.
Art and scienceThe Swiss artist Henry Fuseli, resident in England since 1778, is appointed Professor of Painting at the Royal Academy.The conservative educator Hannah More publishes her Strictures on Female Education which criticised demands for women's rights while proposing an active role for them within religious and moral movements.
InternationalSuccessful defence of Acre in the Levant is led by William Sidney Smith.British expedition to Holland, led by General Ralph Abercromby, ends in evacuation after allies defeated at Battle of Bergen-op-Zoom. Fall of the ruling Directory in France. Napoleon seizes power.The Rosetta Stone is discovered in Egypt.
See this portrait
On display in Room 18 at the National Portrait Gallery