1 portrait on display in Room 17 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Richard Cosway
pencil and wash, circa 1790
4 1/8 in. x 3 1/8 in. (105 mm x 79 mm) oval
Given by Georgiana Margaretta Zornlin, 1870
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Richard Cosway (1742-1821), Miniature painter. Sitter in 15 portraits, Artist associated with 96 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Richard Cosway (1742-1821), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 96 portraits, Sitter in 15 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 124
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 185
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 145
- Schama, Simon, The Face of Britain: The Nation Through its Portraits, 2015-09-15, p. 154
- Walker, Richard, Miniatures: 300 Years of the English Miniature, 1998, p. 85
Events of 1790back to top
Current affairsAttempts to modify the Test and Corporation Acts are defeated, despite campaigning by dissenters such as the prominent Unitarian preacher and pamphleteer, Richard Price. The Acts prevented those outside the established church from holding government or military office.
Art and scienceJoseph Mallord William Turner exhibits his first painting at the Royal Academy; a watercolour of The Archbishop's Palace, Lambeth.The Firth to Clyde and Oxford to Birmingham canals are begun.
InternationalEdmund Burke publishes Reflections on the Revolution in France. A landmark work of opposition to the Revolution which offered a critique of the radical philosophy behind events in France; the Reflections have been read as an articulation of the foundations of modern British conservatism. George Vancouver explores the north west coast of America.
See this portrait
On display in Room 17 at the National Portrait Gallery
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Maria Cosway
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Ludwig Van Beethoven
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Thomas Jefferson
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Horatio Nelson
- Self image: basic materials and techniques (2)