9 of 224 portraits of Oliver Cromwell
attributed to Samuel Cooper
watercolour on vellum, circa 1655
2 3/8 in. x 1 7/8 in. (60 mm x 48 mm) oval
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658), Lord Protector of England. Sitter associated with 224 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Samuel Cooper (1609-1672), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 111 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, John, Oliver the First: Contemporary Images of Oliver Cromwell, 1999, p. 24
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 155
- Walker, Richard, Miniatures: 300 Years of the English Miniature, 1998, p. 33
Events of 1655back to top
Current affairsSecretary of State, John Thurloe, implements a highly efficient intelligence service and thwarts plans for a series of royalist uprisings which produced only Penruddock's revolt.
Following ineffectual royalist riots, Lord Protector, Oliver Cromwell, appoints nineteen Major-generals to manage regional government and prevent future challenges to the protectorate.