13 of 221 portraits of Oliver Cromwell
after Samuel Cooper
oil on canvas, feigned oval, (1656)
8 3/4 in. x 6 1/2 in. (222 mm x 165 mm)
Transferred from British Museum, 1879
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658), Lord Protector of England. Sitter associated with 221 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Samuel Cooper (1609-1672), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 107 portraits, Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, John, Great Britons: The Great Debate, 2002, p. 67
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 94
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 155
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 51