by Julia Margaret Cameron
albumen print, 1868
13 in. x 10 1/8 in. (330 mm x 256 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Charles Robert Darwin (1809-1882), Naturalist, geologist and originator of the theory of evolution. Sitter in 33 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Julia Margaret Cameron (1815-1879), Pioneer photographer. Artist associated with 113 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, John, Great Britons: The Great Debate, 2002, p. 123
- Hart-Davis, Adam, Chain Reactions, 2000, p. 121
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 165
- Spalding, Frances, Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 10 July 2014 - 26 October 2014), p. 53
- Truss, Lynn, Tennyson and his Circle, 2015, p. 59
- Truss, Lynne, Character Sketches: Tennyson and His Circle, 1999, p. 30
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Charles Darwin and the Origin of Species (19 January 2009 - 30 June 2009)
Events of 1868back to top
Current affairsFollowing the Earl of Derby's resignation, Benjamin Disraeli becomes Prime Minister. However, following a near immediate Liberal election victory, he is replaced as Prime Minister by Gladstone. Gladstone sets out his mission to 'pacify Ireland'. Separately, the first meeting of the Trades Union Congress (TUC) is held in Manchester. Public executions are abolished, and are moved from outside Newgate gaol to inside the prison.
Art and scienceWilkie Collins's The Moonstone published. Credited with writing the first sensation novel The Woman in White, Collins's claims another first here, as the mystery surrounding the disappearance of the Herncastle diamond, is recognised as one of the first detective novels.
InternationalAn uprising against Spanish rule in Cuba sparks off the Ten Years' War, in which 200,000 lives are lost. Cubans in the eastern provinces unite under wealthy planter Carlos Manuel de Cespedes. Another armed uprising takes place against Spanish rule in the town of Lares in Puerto Rico, known as the 'Grito de Lares'.
Related shop items
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Companion Series: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle
- Companion Series: Tennyson and his Circle
- Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision Catalogue (Paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- Charles Darwin Bust
- Charles Darwin's Egg of Evolution Puzzle