© National Portrait Gallery, London
Elizabeth (née Farren), Countess of Derby
by John Downman Click on the links below to find out more
8 in. x 6 3/4 in. (203 mm x 171 mm) oval
Given by Mrs D.E. Knollys, 1934
- John Downman (1750-1824). Artist associated with 34 portraits.
- NPG 2651: Sarah Siddons (née Kemble) (companion portrait)
- NPG D19405: Elizabeth (née Farren), Countess of Derby (after)
- Perry, Gill (introduction) Roach, Joseph (appreciation) and West, Shearer (appreciation), The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons, 2011 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 2011 to 8 January 2012), p. 56
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 174
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 153
Social reformers Granville Sharp and Thomas Clarkson found the Society for Effecting the Abolition of the Slave Trade in London with support from John Wesley, Josiah Wedgwood and others.George III shows first signs of mental instability in November.
Art and science
Painter Robert Barker takes out a patent on the Panorama..Astronomer William Herschel discovers the two moons of Uranus, Titania and Oberon. The original Lord's Cricket Ground holds its first cricket match.
Captain William Bligh sets sail for Tahiti on The Bounty
.First performance of composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Don Giovanni
at the National Theatre, Prague.A British ship lands a party of freed slaves as the first modern settlers in Sierra Leone.Captain Arthur Phillip leaves Portsmouth with eleven ships full of convicts to establish a penal colony in Australia.Bahamas become a British colony.