5 of 9 portraits of Lewis Carroll
by Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
albumen print, circa 1857
5 1/2 in. x 4 5/8 in. (140 mm x 117 mm)
Purchased with help from Kodak Ltd, 1973
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) (1832-1898), Photographer and author of 'Alice in Wonderland'. Sitter in 9 portraits, Artist associated with 59 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) (1832-1898), Photographer and author of 'Alice in Wonderland'. Artist associated with 59 portraits, Sitter in 9 portraits.
This portraitback to top
From an album of photographs of Oxford contemporaries. This photograph was, perhaps, taken by Reginald Southey, a fellow Student at Christ Church who encouraged Carroll's early interest in photography.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Victorian Portraits Resource Pack, p. 32
- Funnell, Peter, Victorian Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection, 1996, p. 32
- Funnell, Peter (introduction); Marsh, Jan, A Guide to Victorian and Edwardian Portraits, 2011, p. 41
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 107