© National Portrait Gallery, London
Sir Francis Drake
after an engraving attributed to Jodocus Hondius Click on the links below to find out more
oil on panel, circa 1583
12 1/2 in. x 12 3/8 in. (318 mm x 324 mm)
- Sir Francis Drake (1540-1596), Admiral and circumnavigator. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- Jodocus Hondius (1563-1611). Artist associated with 10 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 186
- Schama, Simon, The Face of Britain: The Nation Through its Portraits, 2015-09-15, p. 254
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 69
Francis Throckmorton plots to assassinate Queen Elizabeth I and place Mary, Queen of Scots on the English throne. The conspiracy is uncovered and Throckmorton is executed. Sir Humphrey Gilbert establishes an English colony in Newfoundland. He is drowned on the return voyage. The revolt in Munster, Ireland, against English rule ends with the execution of the rebel leader the Earl of Desmond. The region is devastated by famine and plague.
Art and science
The first recorded life insurance policy is issued in London.The Italian botanist Andrea Cesalpino publishes De plantis
(Of Plants) the first modern classification of plants.
The French Fury - François, Duke of Anjou attacks Antwerp in an attempt to assert French authority in the Spanish Netherlands. He fails to capture the city and retires to France.The Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II moves the Imperial Court from Vienna to Prague.