King Edward VI
King Edward VI
by Unknown artist, after Guillim Scrots (Guillim Stretes or William Scrots)
oil on panel, circa 1546
18 5/8 in. x 11 in. (473 mm x 279 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- Guillim Scrots (Guillim Stretes or William Scrots) (active 1537-1553), Painter. Artist associated with 6 portraits.
- Unknown artist. Artist associated with 6321 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Technical analysis has revealed that the pigments have faded considerably over time. The background would originally have been a brilliant blue and Edward's cloak a dark red.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Bolland, Charlotte; Cooper, Tarnya, The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12th September 2014 to 1st March 2015), p. 74
- Cooper, Tarnya; Fraser, Antonia (foreword), A Guide to Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 2012, p. 12
- Cooper, Tarnya; Fraser, Antonia (foreword), A Guide to Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 2012, p. 32
- MacLeod, Catherine, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection at Montacute House, 1999, p. 13
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 195
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 90
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered (12 September 2014 - 1 March 2015)
- Painting the Boy King: New Research on Portraits of Edward VI (24 May 2008 - 7 December 2008)
Exhibitions and displays
- The Tudors Reimagined: George Perfect Harding
Until 14 February 2016