King Edward VII
4 of 497 portraits of King Edward VII
King Edward VII
by George Richmond
23 1/2 in. x 17 3/4 in. (597 mm x 451 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 497 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Richmond (1809-1896), Portrait painter and draughtsman; son of Thomas Richmond. Artist associated with 325 portraits, Sitter in 14 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 195
Events of 1858back to top
Current affairsAfter Palmerstone's government collapses, the Earl of Derby becomes Prime Minister for second time, again heading a minority government. The Property qualification for MPs is abolished; one of the demands made by the Chartists, this allowed men who did not own property to stand as parliamentary candidates. Lionel Nathan Rothschild becomes the first Jew to sit in Britain's House of Commons, taking his oath on the Old Testament.
Art and scienceThe pianist Charles Hallé founds a symphony orchestra in Manchester, the Halle; now Britain's oldest professional orchestra. The Hallé symphony rose to prominence in the mid-20th century, under the tenure of conductor John Barbirolli, during which time they made many recordings, including Ralph Vaughan Williams's Symphony No. 8.
InternationalThe British Crown assumes control of India from the East India Company.The Treaty of Tientsin, ending the Second Opium War, gives European powers new rights to intervene in Chinese affairsThe Fenian Brotherhood is founded by John O'Mahony, an Irish emigrant to the United States, to support Irish republican ambitions.
Exhibitions and displays
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
- Celebrating Charlotte Brontë: 1816 – 1855
Until 14 August