King Edward VII
King Edward VII
by W. & D. Downey
albumen print, 1868
5 1/2 in. x 3 7/8 in. (140 mm x 98 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 497 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The Prince of Wales regularly holidayed at Balmoral where he indulged his passions for grouse shooting and deer stalking. By the time of this photograph, he generally stayed at nearby Abergeldie Castle on which the Queen had taken the lease in 1862.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 195
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1868back to top
Current affairsFollowing the Earl of Derby's resignation, Benjamin Disraeli becomes Prime Minister. However, following a near immediate Liberal election victory, he is replaced as Prime Minister by Gladstone. Gladstone sets out his mission to 'pacify Ireland'. Separately, the first meeting of the Trades Union Congress (TUC) is held in Manchester. Public executions are abolished, and are moved from outside Newgate gaol to inside the prison.
Art and scienceWilkie Collins's The Moonstone published. Credited with writing the first sensation novel The Woman in White, Collins's claims another first here, as the mystery surrounding the disappearance of the Herncastle diamond, is recognised as one of the first detective novels.
InternationalAn uprising against Spanish rule in Cuba sparks off the Ten Years' War, in which 200,000 lives are lost. Cubans in the eastern provinces unite under wealthy planter Carlos Manuel de Cespedes. Another armed uprising takes place against Spanish rule in the town of Lares in Puerto Rico, known as the 'Grito de Lares'.
Exhibitions and displays
Related shop items
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Kings and Queens of England Mug