King Edward VII
1 portrait of King Edward VII
King Edward VII
by Sydney March
electrotype of bust, 1924 (1901)
16 in. (406 mm) high
Given by Harold Lee-Dillon, 17th Viscount Dillon, 1924
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 497 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 195
Events of 1901back to top
Current affairsQueen Victoria dies on 23 January. She is succeeded to the throne by her son, Prince Edward, aged 60, who reigned until his death in 1910. The census results of this year show the huge changes that took place in Britain during her reign, revealing that the population of Britain had doubled in the past 50 years, to 38 million.
Art and scienceThe start of Pablo Picasso's Blue Period, in which he produces a series of paintings dominated by the colour blue and melancholic mood. Significantly, the period marks the transition in Picasso's style from classicism to abstract art. Beatrix Potter privately publishes The Tale of Peter Rabbit after it is rejected by six publishers.
InternationalThe six colonies of Australia become a federation, forming the Commonwealth of Australia. Australia remains a Commonwealth Realm. This year Australia also passes the Immigration Restriction Act, which limits immigration to Australia and forms the basis of the White Australia policy, a collection of historical legislation and policies designed to restrict non-white immigration to Australia between 1830-1973, although reforms against the policy were introduced in the 1940s.
Exhibitions and displays
Related shop items
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Kings and Queens of England Mug