1 portrait on display in Room 33 at the National Portrait Gallery
Photograph © National Portrait Gallery, London
by Sir Jacob Epstein
plaster cast of bust, 1951
19 in. (483 mm) high
Given by Trustees of the Epstein estate, 1965
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir Jacob Epstein (1880-1959), Sculptor. Artist of 14 portraits, Sitter in 68 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Epstein and T.S.Eliot were introduced by Ashley Dukes, a mutual friend, who commissioned this bust. Eliot's 'grave courtesy' at the sittings and interest in sculpture impressed Epstein. This bust is a plaster cast, made from a mould of the original clay bust. Epstein often made a number of these plaster busts before casting the final bronze.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Gibson, Robin; Clerk, Honor, 20th Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection, 1993, p. 18
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 199
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Jacob Epstein: Portrait Sculptor (30 March 2013 - 24 November 2013)
Events of 1951back to top
Current affairsThe Conservative Party wins the general election and Winston Churchill returns for a second term as prime minister.
Art and scienceOn the centenary of the Great Exhibition of 1851, the Festival of Britain is held as a nationwide celebration of British culture, and as an impetus for post-war regeneration. As well as various art, science and industrial exhibitions and events, a major regeneration project was initiated for the South Bank area of London under the directorship of the architect, Hugh Casson.
InternationalLibya declares its sovereignty from Italian rule, becoming the first independent state to be created by the UN.At the Treaty of San Francisco, 48 nations sign a peace treaty with Japan, officially ending the Pacific War - the last battleground of the Second World War.
- Bloomsbury and Beyond
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Herbert Wells
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Igor Stravinsky
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Ludwig van Beethoven
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Sir Michael Tippett
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Barbara Hepworth
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust