Queen Elizabeth II
© estate of Pietro Annigoni / National Portrait Gallery, London
Queen Elizabeth II
by Pietro Annigoni
chalk and coloured washes, 1969
22 1/4 in. x 15 1/2 in. (565 mm x 394 mm)
Given by Sir Roy Strong, 1970
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Pietro Annigoni (1910-1988), Painter. Artist of 3 portraits, Sitter in 32 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 189
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 202
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Face of Monarchy (11 February 2006 - 6 September 2006)
Events of 1969back to top
Current affairsThe Open University is established, based on the vision of Michael Young. Its aims were to offer the chance to study for higher education qualifications on a part time and distance learning basis, giving people who were unable to attend a traditional university because of family, work commitments or disability the opportunity to achieve university degrees.
Art and scienceThe comedy sketch show Monty Python's Flying Circus is first broadcast. The Pythons performed surreal sketches that reinvented the comedy tradition, eschewing punch lines for a stream-of-consciousness structure and incongruous authorial interventions: 'and now for something completely different'.Kenneth Tynan's Oh! Calcutta amuses and shocks audiences with full nudity on stage, taking advantage of the recent end to censorship laws.
InternationalNeil Armstrong takes 'one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind' when he becomes the first man on the moon.Concorde makes its first supersonic flight. The plane was designed, developed and manufactured by a joint treaty between the French and English governments.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Celebration Chocolate Chip Shortbread Biscuits
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Tea Towel
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust