after Hans Holbein the Younger
oil on paper, 16th century (circa 1527)
8 1/4 in. x 7 1/2 in. (210 mm x 191 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- John Fisher (1469-1535), Bishop of Rochester, cardinal and martyr. Sitter associated with 32 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Hans Holbein the Younger (1497 or 1498-1543). Artist associated with 299 portraits, Sitter in 12 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This drawing is a rare survival of a face pattern used by an artist's studio to produce a painted portrait. It is probable that many other such patterns would have been made for other sitters.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Tudor Portraits Resource Pack, p. 11
- MacLeod, Catharine, Tudor Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection, 1996, p. 11
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 218
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 119
Exhibitions and displays
- Hans Holbein Re-made: Copies and versions of portraits from the Tudor court
Until 31 August
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
From 12 September
- Pictured & Seen
Until 30 November 2015
See this portrait
On display in Room 3 at the National Portrait Gallery