© National Portrait Gallery, London
by William Daniell, after George Dance Click on the links below to find out more
pencil, circa 1802-1814
10 in. x 7 3/4 in. (254 mm x 197 mm)
- John Fisher (1748-1825), Bishop of Salisbury. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- George Dance (1741-1825), Architect and portrait draughtsman. Artist associated with 322 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- William Daniell (1769-1837), Landscape painter and engraver. Artist associated with 288 portraits.
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 218
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 182, 632
After returning from Naples, Nelson tours England with the diplomat and antiquarian Sir William Hamilton and his wife Emma, with whom he was having an affair. With Nelson's status confirmed as a national hero, their reception outrivals that of the King.Extensive strikes in government shipyards led by John Gast.
Art and science
Francis Jeffrey, MP and arbiter of literary taste, co-founds the Edinburgh Review
, the influential Whig quarterly which voiced strong criticism of Wordsworth, Coleridge and Southey.The Exchange, where stocks were traded, is rebuilt to cope with an increase in business during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.
Peace of Amiens; Britain finally agrees to unpopular peace, leaving France the chief power in Europe and returning recent British colonial acquisitions.Napoleon is declared First Consul of the French Empire for life.English flock to see the international war plunder now on display at the Louvre in Paris.