2 of 44 portraits of E.M. Forster
by Dora Carrington
oil on canvas, 1920
20 in. x 16 in. (508 mm x 406 mm)
Given by Frances Catherine Partridge (née Marshall), 1969
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Dora Carrington (1893-1932), Artist. Artist associated with 10 portraits, Sitter in 17 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Carrington's portrait of Forster was achieved without a sitting. It was much admired by Henry Lamb who wrote to her: 'I think there is something so very good about your head of Forster'.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Bayly, Christopher, The Raj: India and the British 1600-1947, 1990 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 19 October 1990 - 17 March 1991), p. 329
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 225
- Spalding, Frances, Insights: The Bloomsbury Group, 2005, p. 78
- Wilson, Jeremy, T.E. Lawrence: Lawrence of Arabia, 1988 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 9 December 1988 - 12 March 1989), p. 153