8 of 40 portraits on display in Room 32 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Lucian Freud
oil on canvas, 1963
12 in. x 9 7/8 in. (305 mm x 251 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Lucian Freud (1922-2011), Artist. Sitter associated with 37 portraits, Artist of 3 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lucian Freud (1922-2011), Artist. Artist of 3 portraits, Sitter associated with 37 portraits.
This portraitback to top
By the time this portrait was painted, the Surrealist tendencies and meticulous attention to detail of Freud's early work in the 1940s had been superseded by a more expressive use of paint. His powerful portraits and nudes have kept him at the forefront of British figurative art for more than half a century. The portrait is entitled Man's Head (Self-portrait III).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Gibson, Robin, Treasures from the National Portrait Gallery, 1996, p. 119
- Howgate, Sarah (introduction) Auping, Michael (appreciation) Richardson, John (appreciation), Lucian Freud: Portraits, 2012 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 9 February to 28 May 2012), p. 97
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 231
Exhibitions and displays
See this portrait
On display in Room 32 at the National Portrait Gallery