1 of 8 portraits of Thomas Gainsborough
by Thomas Gainsborough
oil on canvas, circa 1758-1759
30 in. x 25 in. (762 mm x 635 mm)
Accepted in lieu of tax by H.M. Government and allocated to the Gallery, 1965
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 262 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Artist associated with 262 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Allocated by H.M. Government, 1965.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 176
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 99
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 98
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 235
- Schama, Simon, The Face of Britain: The Nation Through its Portraits, 2015-09-15, p. 204
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 107