© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Francesco Bartolozzi, after Thomas Gainsborough Click on the links below to find out more
black and red crayon with pencil and grey wash on paper, circa 1797 (1787-1788)
8 1/4 in. x 6 1/2 in. (210 mm x 165 mm)
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 262 portraits.
- Francesco Bartolozzi (1727-1815), Engraver. Artist associated with 164 portraits, Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Artist associated with 262 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
- NPG D20059: Thomas Gainsborough (source portrait)
- NPG D34265: Thomas Gainsborough (source portrait)
- NPG D34266: Thomas Gainsborough (based on same portrait)
Social reformers Granville Sharp and Thomas Clarkson found the Society for Effecting the Abolition of the Slave Trade in London with support from John Wesley, Josiah Wedgwood and others.George III shows first signs of mental instability in November.
Art and science
Painter Robert Barker takes out a patent on the Panorama..Astronomer William Herschel discovers the two moons of Uranus, Titania and Oberon. The original Lord's Cricket Ground holds its first cricket match.
Captain William Bligh sets sail for Tahiti on The Bounty
.First performance of composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Don Giovanni
at the National Theatre, Prague.A British ship lands a party of freed slaves as the first modern settlers in Sierra Leone.Captain Arthur Phillip leaves Portsmouth with eleven ships full of convicts to establish a penal colony in Australia.Bahamas become a British colony.