2 of 56 portraits of David Garrick
after Louis François Roubiliac
plaster painted terracotta, circa 1758
25 in. (635 mm) high
Given by Sir Theodore Martin, 1883
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- David Garrick (1717-1779), Actor, playwright and theatre manager. Sitter associated with 56 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Louis François Roubiliac (1702-1762), Sculptor. Artist associated with 13 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Garrick loved having his portrait painted and his celebrity owed much to the many paintings, drawings, engravings and portrait busts of him. This one is a copy of a bust by one of his friends, the French sculptor Roubiliac who spent most of his life living and working in England.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 180
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 238
Exhibitions and displays
- Simon Schama’s Face of Britain
Until 4 January 2016