5 of 56 portraits of David Garrick
by Thomas Gainsborough
oil on canvas, 1770
29 3/4 in. x 24 7/8 in. (756 mm x 632 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- David Garrick (1717-1779), Actor, playwright and theatre manager. Sitter associated with 56 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Artist associated with 262 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Described as 'very like' when seen by Horace Walpole at the Royal Academy exhibition in 1770, the portrait was retained by Gainsborough in his studio for two years while he made a copy which he told Garrick was intended 'to hang in my own parlour, to look when I please at a Great Man, who has thought me worthy of some little notice'.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, John, Great Britons: The Great Debate, 2002, p. 48
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 182
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 238
- Schama, Simon, The Face of Britain: The Nation Through its Portraits, 2015-09-15, p. 295