6 of 56 portraits of David Garrick
by Nathaniel Dance
5 3/8 in. x 4 1/2 in. (136 mm x 114 mm)
Given by Miss Katharine R. Image, 1948
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- David Garrick (1717-1779), Actor, playwright and theatre manager. Sitter associated with 56 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Nathaniel Dance (1735-1811), Painter. Artist associated with 63 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
Garrick loved having his portrait painted and his celebrity owed much to the many paintings, drawings and engravings of him made from the 1740s. This intimate portrait was drawn at the actor's breakfast table.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 183
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 238
Exhibitions and displays
- Simon Schama’s Face of Britain
Until 4 January 2016