King George I
King George I
studio of Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
oil on canvas, feigned oval, circa 1714
29 7/8 in. x 25 in. (756 mm x 635 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1681 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This profile portrait was probably created in preparation for new coinage shortly after the accession of George I in 1714. More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 85
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 240
Events of 1714back to top
Current affairsQueen Anne dies at Kensington Palace aged 49, on 1st August. The same day, under the Act of Regency, the regency council proclaims James I's great-grandson, George, elector of Hanover, king of Great Britain and Ireland, thus transferring the crown from the house of Stuart to the house of Hanover.
Art and scienceWriter and politician, Sir Richard Steele, accepts the post of governorship for the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Tenison, founds one of the first co-educational schools in Croydon.The Longitude Act offers a reward for the invention of a method of precisely determining a ship's longitude.
InternationalDespite the peace accord at Utrecht in 1713, ratification of the treaties of Rastatt and Baden are required to end the continued hostilities in the War of the Spanish Succession between the French king Louis XIV and Charles VI Archduke of Austria and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
See this portrait
On display at Handel House Museum, London
Related shop items
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery: Later Stuart Portraits 16851714 (hardcover)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- Pepys and his Contemporaries Companion
- THE FACE OF BRITAIN: THE NATION THROUGH ITS PORTRAITS
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Kings and Queens of England Mug