3 of 14 portraits of Edward Gibbon
by Unknown artist
watercolour, circa 1825
6 in. x 4 1/2 in. (152 mm x 114 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Edward Gibbon (1737-1794), Historian; author of 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire'. Sitter in 14 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 205
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 244
- Uglow, Jenny, Character Sketches: Dr Johnson, His Club and Other Friends, 1998, p. 61
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1825back to top
Current affairsStrikes, contract breaking and worker intimidation prompt the passing of a new Anti-Trade Union Combination Act to the dismay of economist John McCulloch, MP Joseph Hume and radical Francis Place who had worked for the repeal of the previous year. Catholic Relief Bill is rejected by the House of Lords.
Art and scienceConstruction of Thames Tunnel begins under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel.Stockton to Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger system, opens.William Hazlitt publishes The Spirit of the Age; twenty-five pen-portraits of his contemporaries in the world of literature, philosophy and politics.
InternationalBeethoven's Ninth Symphony premieres in London. John Quincy Adams is elected President of the United States.
- Portrait of the Day: Augustus Pugin
31 January, 12:30