© National Portrait Gallery, London
by John Giles Eccardt Click on the links below to find out more
oil on canvas, 1747-1748
15 7/8 in. x 12 7/8 in. (403 mm x 327 mm)
- Thomas Gray (1716-1771), Classical scholar and poet. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- John Giles Eccardt (active 1740-died 1779), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
This portrait was commissioned by Gray's life-long friend, Horace Walpole. In his hand is his poem Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College; Eton being the place where the two men had first met in their youth. More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 106
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 261
- Tinker, Christopher, Speak its Name! - Quotations by and about Gay Men and Women, 2016, p. 30
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 13
Jacobite Simon Fraser, 11th Baron Lovat is found guilty of high treason and beheaded by axe at the Tower of London; the last man to be executed in this way in Britain. Abolition of Hereditable Jurisdictions Act breaks the power of the Scottish clans.Liverpool overtakes Bristol as Britain's busiest slave trading port.
Art and science
Actor David Garrick becomes co-manager of Drury Lane Theatre, London. Physician James Lind undertakes one of the first controlled medical experiments on the effect of citrus fruit as a cure for scurvy.Hannah Glasse publishes The Art of Cookery, Made Plain and Easy
; eighteenth-century England's most popular cookbook.
War of the Austrian Succession: at the First Battle of Cape Finisterre the British fleet is victorious against the French. British forces led by William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland are subsequently defeated by Marshal Maurice de Saxe's French army at the Battle of Lauffeld near Maastricht. At the Second Battle of Cape Finisterre the British fleet puts an end to French naval operations for the remainder of the war.