1 of 14 portraits of Thomas Gray
by John Giles Eccardt
oil on canvas, 1747-1748
15 7/8 in. x 12 7/8 in. (403 mm x 327 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- John Giles Eccardt (active 1740-died 1779), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait was commissioned by Gray's life-long friend, Horace Walpole. In his hand is his poem Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College; Eton being the place where the two men had first met in their youth. More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 106
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 261
- Tinker, Christopher, Speak its Name! - Quotations by and about Gay Men and Women, 2016, p. 30
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 13