5 of 15 portraits on display in Room 13 at the National Portrait Gallery
studio of Thomas Hudson
oil on canvas, feigned oval, circa 1759
30 1/8 in. x 25 in. (765 mm x 635 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Stephen Hales (1677-1761), Natural philosopher, chemist and inventor. Sitter in 6 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Thomas Hudson (1701-1779), Portrait painter and art collector. Artist associated with 181 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Hackmann, W.D., Apples and Atoms: Portraits of Scientists from Newton to Rutherford, 1986, p. 26
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 115
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 271