6 of 46 portraits of Warren Hastings
by Lemuel Francis Abbott
oil on canvas, 1796
30 in. x 25 in. (764 mm x 633 mm)
Bequeathed by Miss Marian Winter, 1919
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Warren Hastings (1732-1818), Governor-General of India. Sitter associated with 46 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lemuel Francis Abbott (circa 1760-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 77 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 242
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 287
Events of 1796back to top
Current affairsBirth of Princess Charlotte, only child of George, Prince of Wales and Princess Caroline whose marriage soon quickly and publicly degenerates.
Art and scienceFanny Burney publishes Camilla, one of several influential novels exploring social misunderstanding and the fashionable mode of sensibility.Architect William Chambers completes the building of Somerset House.Collector William Beckford, the richest man in England, begins construction of his gothic fantasy Fonthill Abbey.
InternationalNapoleon Bonaparte assumes command of the French armies in Italy and defeats the Austrians at Millesimo and the Piedmontese at Mondovi.Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, arrives in India as a colonel.John Adams is elected President of the United States, defeating Thomas Jefferson by three votes.
- Portrait of the Day: Horatio Nelson
23 October, 12:30