after Sir Anthony van Dyck
oil on canvas, (circa 1632-1635)
43 in. x 32 1/2 in. (1092 mm x 826 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Henrietta Maria (1609-1669), Queen of Charles I. Sitter associated with 86 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Anthony van Dyck (1599-1641), Painter. Artist associated with 1002 portraits, Sitter associated with 31 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The youngest daughter of Henry IV of France and Marie de Médicis, Henrietta Maria married Charles I in 1625. She gave the King loyal and loving support, but her Catholicism alienated many of her English subjects. She contributed much practical assistance during the Civil War by personally bringing munitions from France and pawning her jewellery to raise funds.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Bennett, Sue, Five Centuries of Women and Gardens, 2000 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 October 2000 to 21 January 2001), p. 29
- John Cooper, National Portrait Gallery Visitor's Guide, 2006, p. 28
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 161
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 295
- Williamson, David, The National Portrait Gallery: History of the Kings and Queens of England, 1998, p. 113
- Williamson, David, Kings and Queens, 2010, p. 112