King Henry IV
1 portrait of King Henry IV
King Henry IV
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 1597-1618
22 7/8 in. x 17 1/2 in. (580 mm x 445 mm) uneven
Click on the links below to find out more:
Linked publicationsback to top
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early kings and queens (19 July 2011 - 4 December 2011)
Portrait setback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1597back to top
Current affairsPhilip II of Spain launches another armada against England. As in 1588, the fleet is dispersed by a storm, which is celebrated as divine intervention.
Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex is made Earl Marshall.
Charles Howard, Baron Howard of Effingham is created Earl of Nottingham.
King James VI of Scotland (later James I of England) publishes Daemonologie, an attack on witchcraft that incites a fever for witch-hunts.
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes The Merchant of Venice.
The musician John Dowland publishes The First Booke of Songes or Ayres, the most successful music publication of the period.
InternationalPhilip II of Spain opens peace negotiations with Henry IV of France after his army in the Spanish Netherlands fails to defeat the forces of France or the Protestant United Provinces of the northern Netherlands.
The Japanese ruler Toyotomi Hideyoshi lunches a second invasion of Korea.
See this portrait
On display in Room 1 at the National Portrait Gallery
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 16 March 2018
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 31 July
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Shakespeare quiz
- Early Kings and Queens: a set of panel portraits
- Tudor pick up guides