King Henry V
1 of 30 portraits of King Henry V
King Henry V
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, late 16th or early 17th century
28 1/2 in. x 16 1/8 in. (724 mm x 410 mm)
Transferred from British Museum, 1879
Click on the links below to find out more:
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 296
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 144
- Williamson, David, The National Portrait Gallery: History of the Kings and Queens of England, 1998, p. 69
- Williamson, David, Kings and Queens, 2010, p. 67
Events of 1570back to top
Current affairsPope Pius V issues a Papal 'bull' excommunicating Queen Elizabeth I from the Catholic Church. The bull provokes widespread anti-Catholicism in England. Elizabeth contemplates marriage with either Charles, Archduke of Austria or Henri, Duke of Anjou.
Art and sciencePublication of The Scholemaster by the royal tutor Roger Ascham, which popularises the educational views of the English nobility. The mathematician and antiquary John Dee's preface to the first English translation of Euclid's Elements of Geometrie anticipates the experimental science of the seventeenth century.The Italian architect Andrea Palladio published I Quattro Libri dell'Architettura (The Four Books of Architecture).
InternationalTreaty of St Germain-en-Laye ends the Third War of Religion in France. Huguenots (French Protestants) are granted religious freedom and the Huguenot leader Admiral Gaspard de Coligny becomes a dominant force at court.The Treaty of Stettin - Denmark agrees to recognise the independence of Sweden and Sweden abandons its claim to Norway.Ivan IV (the Terrible), Tsar of Russia, oversees the Massacre of Novgorod.
Exhibitions and displays
- The Tudors Reimagined: George Perfect Harding
Until 14 February
- Portrait of the Day: King Richard III
28 February, 12:30