King Henry VII
King Henry VII
after Unknown artist
oil on panel, 1597-1618
22 1/2 in. x 17 1/2 in. (572 mm x 445 mm) uneven
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Henry VII (1457-1509), Reigned 1485-1509. Sitter associated with 65 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Bolland, Charlotte; Cooper, Tarnya, The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12th September 2014 to 1st March 2015), p. 28
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 296
- Tarnya Cooper, Elizabeth I & Her People, 2013 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 10 October 2013 - 5 January 2014), p. 13
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered (12 September 2014 - 1 March 2015)
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early kings and queens (19 July 2011 - 4 December 2011)
Portrait setback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1597back to top
Current affairsPhilip II of Spain launches another armada against England. As in 1588, the fleet is dispersed by a storm, which is celebrated as divine intervention.
Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex is made Earl Marshall.
Charles Howard, Baron Howard of Effingham is created Earl of Nottingham.
King James VI of Scotland (later James I of England) publishes Daemonologie, an attack on witchcraft that incites a fever for witch-hunts.
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes The Merchant of Venice.
The musician John Dowland publishes The First Booke of Songes or Ayres, the most successful music publication of the period.
InternationalPhilip II of Spain opens peace negotiations with Henry IV of France after his army in the Spanish Netherlands fails to defeat the forces of France or the Protestant United Provinces of the northern Netherlands.
The Japanese ruler Toyotomi Hideyoshi lunches a second invasion of Korea.
See this portrait
On display in Room 1 at the National Portrait Gallery
Exhibitions and displays
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 4 February 2018
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- My Favourite Portrait by David Cobley
- My Favourite Portrait by Sonia Boyce
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Early Kings and Queens: a set of panel portraits
- Tudor pick up guides
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Georgina Burdett
26 October, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
28 October, 12:30