King Henry VII
King Henry VII
by Elkington & Co, cast by Domenico Brucciani, after Pietro Torrigiano
electrotype, 1870 (circa 1512-1519)
34 in. (864 mm) high
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Henry VII (1457-1509), Reigned 1485-1509. Sitter associated with 65 portraits.
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
This electrotype is a copy from the upper part of the gilt bronze effigy of the king on the double tomb with his wife, Elizabeth of York, at Westminster Abbey. It is one of a series of electrotype reproductions of tomb effigies made for the National Portrait Gallery by Elkington & Co in the 1870s. An electrotype sculpture of this type is made by electro-deposition of copper onto a mould or cast of an object. The electrotype could then be patinated like bronze.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 296
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 150
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1512back to top
Current affairsKing Henry VIII declares war on France. The English Fleet attacks villages on the French Coast and the port of Brest.
Art and scienceKing Henry VII's memorial chapel at Westminster Abbey is completed.
InternationalThe Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I joins Pope Julius II's Holy League against France. The French commander in Italy, Gaston de Foix, is killed at the Battle of Ravenna and French advances are arrested. Poland and Russia go to war over control of White Russia (present-day Belarus).
See this portrait
On display in Medieval stairs: South Stairs at the National Portrait Gallery
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Face of Britain: The Nation Through Its Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- King Henry VII by Unknown Netherlandish artist Postcards