King Henry VIII
1 portrait of King Henry VIII
King Henry VIII
after Hans Holbein the Younger
oil on panel, (circa 1536-1537)
19 in. x 13 1/2 in. (483 mm x 343 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Hans Holbein the Younger (1497 or 1498-1543). Artist associated with 314 portraits, Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 296
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 155
Events of 1536back to top
Current affairsAnne Boleyn miscarries a male child. She is accused of adultery and beheaded for High Treason. Henry marries Jane Seymour eleven days after the Anne's death.The Act of Succession declares Mary and Elizabeth illegitimate. The Act of Suppression marks the beginning of the dissolution of the monasteries.Pilgrimage of Grace popular rising against Henry VIII's Church reforms and the economic effects of enclosure.
Art and scienceThe German artist Hans Holbein the Younger makes a large preparatory drawing, (cartoon) of King Henry VIII for the Whitehall Palace wall painting.
InternationalThe French Protestant reformer Jean Calvin publishes Institutio Christianae Religionis (Institute of the Christian Religion), the founding text of the Calvinist churches. The Holy Roman Emperor Charles V invades Provence and besieges Marseille Francis I of France conquers Savoy and Piedmont.
See this portrait
On display at Museum of London, London
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- WebQuest: Henry VIII - Man Versus Myth
- Henry VIII Remembered
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Tudor pick up guides