- Extended Catalogue Entry
by John Singer Sargent
oil on canvas, 1898
40 1/8 in. x 32 3/8 in. (1020 mm x 822 mm) overall
Bequeathed by Octavia Hill, 1915
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- John Singer Sargent (1856-1925), Portrait and landscape painter and muralist. Artist associated with 72 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Influenced by Christian Socialism and encouraged by John Ruskin in her schemes for improving the housing of the poor, Octavia Hill devoted herself to housing reform and to supervising the building and management of numerous dwellings. She was also widely involved in other charitable activities and a founder of the National Trust. This portrait was commissioned from Sargent by her friends and was given to Hill on her sixtieth birthday. It has a fine carved frame of leaves and fruit.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Funnell, Peter (introduction); Marsh, Jan, A Guide to Victorian and Edwardian Portraits, 2011, p. 59
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 302
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 109
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 175