by Louis François Roubiliac
terracotta bust, circa 1741
28 in. (711 mm) high
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- William Hogarth (1697-1764), Painter and engraver. Sitter associated with 19 portraits, Artist associated with 125 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Louis François Roubiliac (1702-1762), Sculptor. Artist associated with 13 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This spectacular portrait bust perfectly captures Hogarth's strength of character, individuality and dynamism. The French sculptor and Hogarth's friend, Roubiliac settled permanently in London, finding patronage among the high number of citizens who wanted to sit for their portrait. More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 143
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 130
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 307
See this portrait
On display in Room 10 at the National Portrait Gallery