© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Nathaniel Hone Click on the links below to find out more
enamel on copper, circa 1760-1770
1 1/4 in. x 1 1/8 in. (32 mm x 28 mm) oval
Bequeathed by H.V. Metcalfe, 1920
- Nathaniel Hone (1718-1784), Portrait and miniature painter. Sitter in 9 portraits, Artist associated with 56 portraits.
- Nathaniel Hone (1718-1784), Portrait and miniature painter. Artist associated with 56 portraits, Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 261
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 311
- Walker, Richard, Miniatures: 300 Years of the English Miniature, 1998, p. 15
Death of George II on 25 October at the age of 76. George III succeeds to the throne at the age of 22.
Art and science
German artist Johan Zoffany arrives in England, where he is instrumental in reviving the 'conversation piece' genre of painting. First public exhibition of paintings in England is held at the Society of Arts' Great Room in the Strand, London. The Public Ledger is founded; the oldest British periodical with continuous daily publication.
Seven Years' War: At the Battle of Carrickfergus in Ireland, a force of French troops captures the town of Carrickfergus before retiring. Surrender of Montreal to the British under General Jeffrey Amherst signals the virtual loss of Canada by the French. British troops oust the Nawab of Bengal Mir Jafar and replace him with Mir Quasim.Former Chief Tacky leads an unsuccessful slave rebellion in Jamaica, which aims to overthrow British rule.