1 portrait on display in Room 5 at the National Portrait Gallery
copy attributed to Robert Walker, after Samuel Cooper, and Sir Anthony van Dyck
oil on canvas, circa 1650
49 in. x 39 1/2 in. (1245 mm x 1003 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Henry Ireton (1611-1651), Parliamentary general. Sitter associated with 16 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Samuel Cooper (1609-1672), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 109 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir Anthony van Dyck (1599-1641), Painter. Artist associated with 1003 portraits, Sitter associated with 31 portraits.
- Robert Walker (1599-1658), Painter. Artist associated with 129 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The head of Ireton is based on a miniature by Samuel Cooper; the body is a standard van Dyck pattern.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Foskett, Daphne, Samuel Cooper, 1974 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 15 March - 15 June 1974), p. 18
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 327
Exhibitions and displays
- Hidden: An unseen portrait of Oliver Cromwell
Until 19 October
See this portrait
On display in Room 5 at the National Portrait Gallery