by Humphrey Spender
bromide print, 1935
8 1/4 in. x 5 3/4 in. (210 mm x 146 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Christopher William Bradshaw Isherwood (1904-1986), Novelist. Sitter in 29 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Humphrey Spender (1910-2005), Photographer, artist and designer. Artist of 15 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In 1979 Humphrey Spender provided information about his photograph of the novelist Christopher Isherwood as follows: 'This was taken in Berlin in about 1935. He is standing against the window of the apartment made famous in Goodbye to Berlin...looking at and commenting on some activity in the street two floors below.' It is an appropriately melancholy image, slightly narcissistic, combined with Spender's interest in precise pictorial record.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 197
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 197
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 329
- Tinker, Christopher, Speak its Name! - Quotations by and about Gay Men and Women, 2016, p. 114
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- In Close Up: Humphrey Spender (14 September 2002 - 14 March 2003)