1 portrait of Gertrude Jekyll
by Sir William Newzam Prior Nicholson
oil on canvas, 1920
30 1/8 in. x 30 1/2 in. (765 mm x 775 mm)
Given by wish of Sir Edwin Lutyens, 1947
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir William Newzam Prior Nicholson (1872-1949), Artist. Artist associated with 29 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait, for which Jekyll was a most reluctant sitter, was commissioned by her great friend and collaborator, Sir Edwin Lutyens and painted at her house in Munstead. The portrait was given by Lutyens.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Bennett, Sue, Five Centuries of Women and Gardens, 2000 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 October 2000 to 21 January 2001), p. 116
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 184
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 184
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 335